Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Learn to fly Mavic Pro without using RTH

Mavic Pro

When learning to fly Mavic Pro I would learn to fly your drone back to the home point WITHOUT using RTH. I think RTH should be viewed as a very handy “oh crap” failsafe. Not as your only means of getting your drone back. Too much could go wrong in the process that may not be an issue if you know how to flyback on your own. With that I will say DJI’s RTH is very trustable but if GPS is ever lost then so is your drone.

Learn to fly home without the RTH and use it in an emergency.  If you get used to RTH, you never acquire the skill of flying the darn thing and manual is way more fun!

For further flights. Be extremely cautious of RTH. I’ve seen it be more trouble than it’s worth, especially when using a battery life indicator as a method of when to activate that RTH function.

Example. “Oh Geez, 50% left on my battery. Time to come home”  Drone hits a head wind on the way back, lands a half mile short of “Home” due to increased power consumption and not enough power to get “home”.nA lot of times it’s even shorter than that as many of these batteries won’t let you run it down to 0%. Most times it’s 20%.

Most importantly. I’ve learned really quick not to fly over people. I never hit anyone, but witnessed the force of a 3 pound quad hitting the ground from 100 feet after losing binding during a flight.  It will seriously hurt someone and it will do significant damage to property such as vehicles if it falls from these heights.

Lastly. Have fun. You are taking a big step going right into a Phantom which is no big deal, but it’s going to sting a little bit more when you tumble it or have mishaps. As a quick side recommendation some people suggest buying a cheap “toy” quad to fly and practice with also. I did this and it will help you develop your skills on something less expensive and more resilient to crashing. I am having fun learning on my Syma X8G which is basically a low end beginners quad.  I’ve beat the hell out of it learning and it’s never really bothered me since I only payed $150 for it.  I will eventually be upgrading to a DJI Mavic Pro but for right now. I’m having a good time with it.

The post Learn to fly Mavic Pro without using RTH appeared first on Drone Inner.

No comments:

Post a Comment