Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Mavic Pro advice for beginners-Part I

Mavic Pro

Scan Mavic forums to discover thread like “I have been waiting for the right time to get into drone photography and video. I pulled the trigger on the Mavic Pro with the extra batteries and stuff. It will arrive soon. Needless to say I am excited and a little nervous.

I wanted to reach out and ask for beginner advice. Anything a total noob might benefit from. I have exactly zero experience flying these thing.”

With so many new pilots coming in, we wanted to offer you some beginner advice that we collected from a wide array of sources to get started the Mavic Pro.

#”Learning on an expensive drone could be costly. Best advice that I can give you is to find a deserted wide open field with no obstacles. The reason I say deserted is because if there are people around they will come and check out your drone and want to talk. That’s fine and dany, but not when you’re learning. First few flights should be on calm days and don’t bother taking pics or filming. Just learn the basics of flying first. ”

#“Make sure you keep a long way from anything. If I learned anything from flying RC planes and helis (now drones) for years is that given 60 yards of clear air and six inches of tree the RC will try to occupy the same space as the tree EVERY DAMN TIME.

Be VERY aware of orientation if you are flying by looking at the Mavic Pro, if its facing you and you push the right stick away from you it will fly towards you (in most modes) also left and right will be reversed. It is surprisingly difficult to get your head around this at first.”

#”RTFM at least 3 times

Review all the sUAS (drone) info at the US FAA website: www.faa.gov/uas. That’s assuming you are in the USA.

Take it slow and easy. Do not get close to anything but the ground for Takeoff and Landing.”

#“RTH is the cause of a lot of crashes but mostly with drones that don’t have obstacle avoidance. The pilot hits RTH and the building in the way takes it out. The Mavic Pro should be good that way. Trees are still tricky though, especially bare ones. You can help it a lot by setting the RTH altitude higher than anything around.

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard which does not have avoidance so I’ve been pretty cautious. First couple of flights were up, a little distance and then back down/home.  I’ve got about 15 flights (er, 15 flight sessions) now and I am a lot more confident but still pretty cautious. Just take it slow. You sound thoughtful – I think that’s about 75% of a good pilot right there.”

For more beginner advice please stay tuned to us and we will update soon.

The post Mavic Pro advice for beginners-Part I appeared first on Drone Inner.

No comments:

Post a Comment