Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Do you really need Mavic Pro propeller guards?

Mavic Pro propeller guards

DJI launched new accessories for the Mavic Pro, one of which is a propeller guard. These aren’t the most exciting releases but they’re, as theverge said “practical gadgets.” The Mavic Pro propeller guards come with two variants. One is priced at $16 and the other one is $159.
Mavic Pro propeller guards
Mavic Pro propeller guards

No idea whether to buy the Mavic Pro propeller guards? Just check out the buyer’s comments from Amazon and DJI forums below.

# “I am a newbie and waiting for my Mavic Pro-I got the prop guards for use outside to be on the safe side until I become more skilled. I have no intention of flying inside yet.”

# “I bought Mavic Pro propeller guards from Amazon. They installed quickly and really do a nice job against walls and other such in-home obstacles. I recommend them. The Mavic is a bit clunkier with them on but overall flies great. I recommend turning off forward sensors not because the guards interfere with them, but because you can get sudden movements that aren’t fun to experience even with prop guards on!

But note that small objects (like posts less than 11 inches in width) can fit between the prop guards and then impact the props. You could run a string or strong tape across that opening to prevent that if you wanted but it probably would be in the camera field of view and would definitely interfere with the forward facing sensors.”

# “It works fine but is a bit of a pain to put on and it seems to leave some small marks on the Mavic Pro‘s arms when it is slid on.

This will not protect your props with any level of certainty. It will also not be a guarantee that the Mavic cannot cut you or things the Mavic collides into. It works best when it’s a straight level collision, in those cases the Mavic will just bounce off or stay up against the object. If the object you collide with has a complex shape then all bets are off because the Mavic can tilt at an angle and expose the impact zone to the spinning blades.”

# “These guards go on easy and really are study protection. I haven’t noticed any affect on the flying of my Mavic besides a slight shorting of flight time, that I haven’t noticed. You can fly right into a wall and the Mavic just bounces off. I feel so much safer flying my Mavic now.”

# “I got these prop guards, have used them once and removed them. Though they will certainly protect the props, they are heavy relative to the mass of the Mavic Pro and they seem to lower the aircraft’s wind tolerance. I was getting wind warnings when the tree tops were moving only slightly, conditions I had flown in previously and seen no warnings. Other than that they seem to be well made and fit tightly. Each guard is two pieces. On piece fits around the motor and over the arm. The other piece fits down on the first and is connected by two plastic clips. They appear to made of standard polystyrene and are therefore not likely to tolerate any significant impacts but that is pure speculation on my part.”

The post Do you really need Mavic Pro propeller guards? appeared first on Drone Inner.

No comments:

Post a Comment